The first recorded meeting of what is now known as the “Puget Sound Association of the Deaf” was on July 4, 1900. Then, the organization was known as “Seattle Deaf Mutes Society.”
The gathering was a picnic on Mercer Island with 35 people present.
On February 22, 1904, the Society met to draft the Constitution and By-laws. The new name of the organization was to be “Puget Sound Association of the Deaf” and the first officers were: President, Mr. Axling; Vice-President, Mrs. Gustin; secretary, Mr. Christensen; treasurer, Mr. Cedergren; and sergeant-at-arms, Mr. Stuht. It was not until 1926 that the organization applied for and got an incorporation status with the State of Washington.